need tips!

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).
tylers740

need tips!

Post by tylers740 »

I could use some tips on html. I mean on weather that would be a good project. I normaly would know this but :oops: I am blainking out
Tyler S. :P
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: need tips!

Post by davidkallman »

Hi Tyler,

Just in my humble opinion (IMHO) coding a web page in HTML would not make a good project.

There may be projects in comparing HTML to other page creation languages, but don't ask me what they are. Can anyone else help out here?

And there may be other opinions on HTML projects. Again, can anyone else help out here?
Cheers!

Dave
tylers740

OK

Post by tylers740 »

Tyler S. :P
ThePinkRocker

Post by ThePinkRocker »

Dear Tyler,
There is a scope for a good science project in HTML. I have an idea here, see if you like it.

You can compare the different scripts used in making a DHTML document (Dynamic HTML for the uninitiated). Like, for example Javascript, VBScript, etc. But first you must have some background knowledge about these languages. You can even compare the efficiency of a single program in different languages.

Try it, n tell me if you like it.

Cheers,
hhemken
Former Expert

HTML or something in HTML

Post by hhemken »

I agree with davidkallman. I don't think your project should focus on HTML. If it did, you would need to examine its structure as a formatting language, compare it to alternatives, make some changes (that would be a challenge!), etc.

If you are interested in something having to do with web pages and HTML, try to think of a problem that could be approached or solved with HTML and related technologies. For example, a web site that people could use in which they enter some kind of information, the web site does something useful to it, then presents the user with the results. This would be a software engineering project.

The interesting parts of that would be 1) deal with a problem that people need or want to solve that can be solved by a relatively simple program, 2) design, build, and test a computerized tool (a web page/site) that does it.

You have a dizzying array of tools at your disposal though, and your choice should reflect your current computer abilities and those you wish to have attained by the end of the project. At very least, you will need to become competent with HTML. You may want to also learn some JavaScript and possibly PHP, if you want to write a program that does some amount of calculation.

Beware of deciding on something overly ambitious. Software development has a way of taking a lot longer than you thought it would. Learning JavaScript or PHP, if you have done little or no programming before, will require effort and persistence, but you will have acquired a skill that will be useful for the rest of your life..

Good luck!
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum

Return to “Math & Computer Science Sponsored by Hyperion Solutions Corp”