Two questions

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

AerospaceGuy
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Two questions

Post by AerospaceGuy »

Hello! My name is Justin and I have two questions. First, how would any of you suggest constructing a good poster display? My project uses a large poster about 3ft x 4ft rather than a board, and I need a good way to display it. Any ideas?

My second question regards experimentation. How many of you had help from a professional? My experiment uses models, and so I need someone who knows what they are doing to help me. How many of you needed the same help before conducting the experiment?

Thank you for your advice and for indulging my curiosity!
O God, Thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small!
-Anonymous
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by tdaly »

Justin,

First, let me congratulate you on making it to Intel ISEF 2007. It's a great honor.

In regards to your first question: I would reccomend going to an arts supply store (something like a Michaels) and asking about poster easels. Thes easels open up like a tripod, but have a ledge for the poster to sit on. I think that might work well for you.

In regards to your second question: I have consulted with several professional scientists who are experts in the field I'm studying. Like you, when I came up with problems I didn't know how to deal with, I asked someone who did. I would reccomend shooting an e-mail off to an expert in your field, explaining who you are and what you are doing. Then tell them about your problem and ask for their advice. Be as specific as possible. Some professionals will ignore your e-mail, others will write back nasty messages, but some will be really helpful!

Remember that if you do any work at a professional lab (university, government facility, corporation, etc.) you need to fill out and file a form 1C. If your fair director has already sent your paperwork to the international SRC, you will need to coordinate directly with them via your local SRC.

Keep on questioning!
All the best,
Terik
AerospaceGuy
Former Expert

Post by AerospaceGuy »

Thank you very much!

A poster easel, huh? Sounds like a great idea, thank you. Did you see many of those at the ISEF(s) that you were present at? Or did most people use standard science fair poster boards?

As for my second question I think I phrased it improperly. What I meant to say was that I am getting help with creating each airfoil model that I'm using because I need someone with more mechanical expertise and skill with tools. Did any of you need help from a professional in creating anything for your project, like an airfoil?
-Anonymous
benjaminpollack
Former Expert

Re: Two Questions

Post by benjaminpollack »

Hi Justin,

As for the project display, there was a wide range of options people went with. Some students opt for the more traditional poster display board(myself included), whereas others design there own. If you get a chance at ISEF, take a walk around to see the other boards as some of them are outrageous. People get more and more creative each year. I have seen students actually bring carpets and lights to use in front of their boards. Just remember that while presentation is important, its not a factor that the judges really look for. They want to see the research you have done, so don't worry about whether your board is fancy enough. The inforamtion onthe board should be presented in a concise manner and easy to follow.

To answer your question more directly, many students did use a poster easel. One very important thing to keep in mind is that the way your booth is set up is that you have a long table and then a chair (supposing you are competing as an individual). If you have an easel it would have to go on top of the table. When you registered you checked a box whether or not you needed a table. I am sure you can always call/email them if you need to change it. I know an art supplies store would have a shorter easel that you could use. Also it might help if the poster had some sort of hard backing. They sell foam board which is quite sturdy and light weight(a definite plus when you are traveling)

As for the mentor or scientist who would assist you, some students conduct research in a formal research institution which would thus provide them with a mentor. However there is a large portion of finalists who conduct research on their own whether its at home, school, or elsewhere. If you are designing the foil to bring with you, displays are always great, however remember to follow the safety protocols listed on the ISEF website. You will have to go through a safety check before you compete and every year some students bring unsafe materials and must remove them from the project exhibition area. Many times concise schematics and photos will serve the same purpose. However, by all means physical displays are also good because the judge can really see if not hold the project.

Good Luck!!!
Benjamin Pollack
Expert
Ask an Expert
AerospaceGuy
Former Expert

Post by AerospaceGuy »

My teacher told me stories about a time when he went with another student, and saw people who had designed their own collapsable poster stands and things like that. He said it was ridiculous because the thing would open up and unfold itself, and would be unnecessarily complicated. It will be fun to walk around and see what he was talking about!

Thank you very much for the idea of an easel. I'm thinking of rolling up the poster for travel though, so I'll have to think about the foam board idea a little more. But thanks again!

I am definitely going to be bringing airfoils for the judges to see and touch and examine. Also, I wanted to bring my homemade wind tunnel to provide demonstrations of testing. What do you think about this? The tunnel is small enough to meet the space limitations, so that is not a problem.
-Anonymous
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by tdaly »

If your wind tunnel fits in the required space limits, I would strongly reccomend bringing it.

Another option for the foamcore is to wait to buy in until you get to Albequrque. You'll be able to find foamcore at any office supply or art supply store (e.g. Office Depot, Office Max, Michaels, etc.). If you but the foamcore in Albequrque, the all you have to do it mount your poster on it, set up your easel, and you're ready to go!
All the best,
Terik
benjaminpollack
Former Expert

Post by benjaminpollack »

Just as an FYI, there is a central station at ISEF called the HUB which is always located in the center of the exhibition hall. They will have some supplies such as glue, scissors, screwdrivers, tape, copy machines, etc. As for the foam it might be better to buy it there as Terik had said. If you want to ship anything whether it is the wind tunnel or airfoil, use the shipping method that ISEF sent to you recently. They drop it of directly at your booth.
Benjamin Pollack
Expert
Ask an Expert
Amber_MIT
Former Expert

Post by Amber_MIT »

Hi!

For my project, I did have a mentor, but they lived about 8 hours away and I just sent them an email or called them if I had a question. It is definitely important to ask as many questions as possible to as many people that you can find, since you will probably learn way more than the original answer you were seeking. A lot of the people you send emails to probably won't respond, but just keep trying!

As for the poster, I have a lot of experience with this. I have done a board with colored construction board outlines (the typical kind) and I've done a regular poster. There is a page on science buddies that actually talks about how to put a larger board together out of smaller boards, and then you can glue/tape your poster on. I carried my board around in a carrying case, which proved useful since I went to lots of competitions. It protected everything on the plane and its other travels. The easel might be easier though if it can be collapsed.

As for the other parts of your display, I would definitely try and bring your wind tunnel if you can. You might want to think of a way to secure it to the table as well. The security is pretty good there, but you should be prepared. It will be a lot easier to talk about your project with the wind tunnel there as a visual aid.
Stuck? Check out our project guides!
Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml
Advanced Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

Amber Hess
Expert
Amber_MIT
Former Expert

Post by Amber_MIT »

Here is the webpage I was talking about for big boards:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ards.shtml

Amber Hess
Expert
Amber_MIT
Former Expert

Post by Amber_MIT »

I just now saw your other post. For one of my projects, I had to go use an NMR machine, so I contacted a suitable company and they agreed to analyze the sample for me. Really nice people. Other than that I didn't have to get anything built by an expert. I would try and search for local companies or colleges that might have experts in this field, or with building mechanical things in general and then just keep contacting them by email or phone until they respond. That's what worked for me!

Amber Hess
Expert

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”