ISEF Display Board Questions

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Tara
Project Question: Display Board
Project Due Date: April 20th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

ISEF Display Board Questions

Post by Tara »

I am needing help on building display boards for ISEF.

I have reviewed the information at
- https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ards.shtml, (which has been helpful), and
- Intel ISEF Display and Safety Regulations

My questions are:-
- Is the width of the display board (paneled) be 48 inches when folded or 48 inches when standing? Hope this makes sense. In other words, can you have a display board be wider than 48 inches when all panels are spread out flat?
- I have been searching the internet to buy display boards. From your experience, could you please recommend good sources to buy display boards for ISEF?
- I read on science buddies that one can use foam boards. Won't these be more easily destroyed with the transportation etc.?
- Is this what you do/recommend?
- Take modular display boards to the ISEF site;
- Bolt two modular display boards;
- Fix printouts on the board?

Please advise. As you can see, I am definitely needing expert advice on display boards. I have competed at Regional and State level, but I see at ISEF one needs the larger boards.

Many Thanks in advance for any tips,
Tara
vtrip
Former Expert

Re: ISEF Display Board Questions

Post by vtrip »

Tara,

In response to your questions:

- Is the width of the display board (paneled) be 48 inches when folded or 48 inches when standing? Hope this makes sense. In other words, can you have a display board be wider than 48 inches when all panels are spread out flat?
The width of the display board when opened is what matters. At ISEF you will be provided with a table that is 2.5 ft deep and 4 feet wide. If your board doesnt fit onto the table it is not compliant with ISEF regulations (and very easy to spot).

- I have been searching the internet to buy display boards. From your experience, could you please recommend good sources to buy display boards for ISEF?
Local Art supply stores are generally the best option because if you mess something up, you can always go back and get another board. I like gator board which is a tougher material than cardboard/styrofoam.

- I read on science buddies that one can use foam boards. Won't these be more easily destroyed with the transportation etc.?
This is one reason I recommend 'gator board'.

- Take modular display boards to the ISEF site;
Ive seen this done, its honestly more trouble than its worth.

- Bolt two modular display boards;
this sounds too complicated and may not look professional

- Fix printouts on the board?
what do you mean by this?

good luck!
Tara
Project Question: Display Board
Project Due Date: April 20th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: ISEF Display Board Questions

Post by Tara »

Thanks so much...all my questions answered in one comprehensive message!

- Tara

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”