Question

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Jacobshhs
Project Question: intelligence (sorry but I'm trying to keep this my project so no one can steal it)
Project Due Date: 9/13 at 8:00 for the STS
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Question

Post by Jacobshhs »

At my district i was the fist team called but they don't say 1st 2nd 3rd ect so i was wondering if that is ussually good or not. my 2nd question is do team projects ussually do better or worse in the isef :?:
mpphlipot
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question

Post by mpphlipot »

I don’t know anything about how the district fairs work so I don’t know if the order you were called has any significance. Each district probably does it a bit differently so I doubt any of us outsiders could say one way or another.

As an ISEF judge for a couple years, I can tell you that the same set of judges interview and score the team and individual projects at ISEF. Both evaluation sheets are similar but the team sheet has some evaluation points the judge gives based on teamwork. That obviously doesn’t exist for the individual projects.

However, when the judges go and meet to discuss and select awards, a different team of people discusses the team projects from those doing the individuals. The team projects are only evaluated against the other team projects and individuals against individuals.

Mike
Jacobshhs
Project Question: intelligence (sorry but I'm trying to keep this my project so no one can steal it)

Post by Jacobshhs »

Ok 1 more question if i am doing an Evirmental sci project will we be judged only in our catergory? or against all the team projects?
mpphlipot
Former Expert

Post by mpphlipot »

You stumped me on that one. So I went to last year's results from the Atlanta ISEF: http://sciserv.org/isef/results/grnd2008.pdf

It looks like all the team awards are together so I assume there is a single committee of people that select the team winners from all of the teams across all the categories. But, I should add, it looks like there are a lot of team awards so, like in the categories, the number of awards is probably proportional to the number of team projects.
Mike
Jacobshhs

Post by Jacobshhs »

what i mean is will we be judged against all other team projects or just other team envirmental sci projects?
tcoles
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by tcoles »

Each Category is Separate Judging

Grand Award of Each Category
Best of Category- $5000 and Laptop
1st Place- $3000
2nd Place- $1500
3rd- $1000
4th- $500

Note: There are multiple winners for each place, the amount of awards given for each category is determined by number of presenters in each category, more presenters=awards
tcoles
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by tcoles »

Also, Team Projects are there own category, there are a lot of team winners.
mpphlipot
Former Expert

Post by mpphlipot »

It would appear, based on the results from last year, that the team projects are all judged in a single category. So I think your team project will get judged against all the other team projects in the fair.

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”