Lack of Internet Availability at ISEF

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Danny B.
Project Question: A magnet's place in transportation.
Project Due Date: A long time in coming.
Project Status: I am just starting

Lack of Internet Availability at ISEF

Post by Danny B. »

My partner and I have recently been invited to compete at ISEF this coming May. Throughout the course of our project, we have created several programs that can be embedded into a browser (so that it is accessible by anyone that has internet) and submit the information they collect to an online database. There are also several key functions that rely on previously collected data from the database for the programs to function properly.

Now. It is my understanding that there is no wireless (or wired) internet available for the booths at ISEF. Are there any exceptions to this? and if not, how might my partner and I go about demonstrating our programs? If all else fails, I'll check into offline databases that can be used for the temporary demonstration of our programs.

Thanks to any that help,
-Danny B.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Lack of Internet Availability at ISEF

Post by tdaly »

Hi Danny,

Congratulations on being selected as a Intel ISEF Finalist! There is no internet access inside the exhibition hall where the projects are. I doubt there are any exceptions, but if you want to check into that you will need to talk to your fair manager, who will probably end up talking to the ISEF Display and Safety, John Cole. See http://societyforscience.org/isef/rules/safdisp.pdf for his email address.

Your judges should know that there is no internet access in the exhibit hall and thus should understand that you may not be able to show the complete functionality of your program. Of course, it doesn't hurt to remind them of this during your judging interviews. I think that checking into an offline database will probably be your best bet for showing functionality; ISEF rules and policies are very stringent.

Let us know if we can be of further help!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”