jacobs ladder

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
sci-queen

jacobs ladder

Post by sci-queen »

i have to do a science project and i need to do something with the jacobs ladder i have and i need some ideas on what i can do wit it to make it into a unique project but dont know what i can do!!lookin for some ideas
davidkallman2
Former Expert

Jacob’s ladder

Post by davidkallman2 »

Hi sci-queen,

Two good websites are http://www.llund.com/jacob.htm and http://www.applefritter.com/node/view/3091.

The first site includes directions on how to build a Jacob’s ladder. The second site talks about three types of Jacob’s ladder.

As for making the above into a science project, some thoughts are:
o Describe the Jacob’s ladder you picked (I’m not sure which of the
three types you had in mind) in the poster.
o Do various measurements on the Jacob’s ladder.
o Describe the various kinds of Jacob’s ladders.

Note: Some care is required if high voltage is used in your Jacob’s ladder.

Comments?
Cheers!

Dave
Science Buddies Mentor
shijun

Post by shijun »

Sci-queen,

I want to second David on his comment that you need to be careful when handling high-voltage apparatus. Please do everything possible to protect yourself and make you (or get someone to help you) know EXACTLY what you are doing!

Shijun
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Jacob's Ladder

Post by tdaly »

Sci-Queen,

It is not a good idea to use high-voltage equipment, like Jacob's Ladders, without proper supervision. I would reccomend a less dangerous experiment. For instance, you might measure the conductivity of various friuts using a multi meter. (availiable at the Home Depot and similiar stores for a few bucks) Unless you are working under a electricain or qualified person, I would shy away from the Jacob's ladder idea.

Terik

Return to “Physical Science”