Help again please!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
candice

Help again please!

Post by candice »

Hey!

Our teacher kindly gave us an extension on our project, and I have decided on investigating how the angle of impact influences the size and depth of the crater.

I have written out my method etc. but I have no idea what to discuss in the discussion. Does anyone know, or know where I can get information on, how the angle of impact influences the crater... an WHY it does so in this way?

You help would be very much appreciated!
Thank you
shijun

Post by shijun »

Candice,

Well, you've made it this far, and it's time to do some thinking. I am confident that you can discover the answer to your question on your own (the principle is fairly straightforward).

The answer has to do with "in which direction is the force being applied." For example, take a big piece of marshmallow and try dropping a reasonabally sharp object on it (for example small weights used for fishing) from different angles. Take notice of the size of the dent formed. You will see that the deeper the dent, the more "straight" you are dropping the weight. Do you see why?

If you want to learn more, simply ask your teacher to explain this phenonmenon to you (you can use marshmallows as an example).

Furthermore, here is some help on what goes in the conclusion section (similar to your discussion section): https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ions.shtml

Shijun
Science Buddies Staff
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Project Help

Post by tdaly »

Candice,

Here is a link to a publication called "Traces of Catastrophe." [http://www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/bo ... CB-954.pdf]

This book is THE authority on the subject of cratering. I myself do research in the field of geological impact cratering. I can tell you that craters are always round, no matter the angle at which they are hit. I can also tell you that the size of the crater is always between 5 and 10 times the size of the impactor.

In the Disscussion, it isvery important to first talk about what happened in your experiemnt, what worked, what did not, what (if any) changes you made to your procedure, etc. Then, include a statement summarizing your results. For example, "The effect of angle on the depth and size of an impact crater is______. Then explain any anomalies that occured from trial to trial. The next step is to discuss why what you observed happened.

Good Luck!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Physical Science”