Aluminum can experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
metsnation

Aluminum can experiment

Post by metsnation »

I am trying to complete an experiment to make an aluminum can move when placed on the floor. I cannot use anything on the outside of the can. Any suggestions?
shijun

Post by shijun »

Sounds like a question your teacher has asked you! Is this for homework or a science fair project?

Do you have any ideas so far? What are the other constraints? Judging by what you've told me here, you must try to work some magic with the inside of the can? Or is the can full and sealed?

If this is simply a brainteaser, why don't you do some thinking first (and maybe some web research).

Shijun
metsnation

Post by metsnation »

It is for extra credit. The constraints are, the top is cut off the can and you cannot have anything touching the outside. I have tried attaching clay to the inside center. (It rolled, but did not continue to roll.) I tried to use taut rubber bands and a battery. (No luck.) I've also researched on the web and found nothing. (Well, I actually found this web site.) I'm drawing blanks.
shijun

Post by shijun »

Have you looked into magnets by any chance? The idea is to have something that moves on its own, and then in turn have this little "machine" move the can while on the inside. Also, look into gyroscopes.

Shijun
metsnation

Post by metsnation »

I was thinking of using a cam. Would that be the same concept as a gyroscope?
shijun

Post by shijun »

A cam is a rotating disk shaped to convert circular into linear motion, while a gyroscope is something different. Look at: http://science.howstuffworks.com/gyroscope.htm

Also, is there a limit on NOT using battery powered devices? Or does the can need to move for at least a certain period of time?

Shijun
Science Buddies Staff
metsnation

Post by metsnation »

There cannot be any motors or battery operated devices used. It needs to move at least 6 feet.
shijun

Post by shijun »

Well, those are pretty big constraints that you forgot to mention!

Let me know how your cam idea turns out.

Shijun

Return to “Physical Science”