The one gram nuclear bomb.

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
coinjunky2

The one gram nuclear bomb.

Post by coinjunky2 »

Hello!,

From my understanding of nuclear weapons, when during a nuclear fission chain reaction a neutron slpits uranium atom into two atoms, further producing neutrons too continue the reaction. Here's my question. Would it be physically or at least theoretically possible to have one gram of uranium 235 and shoot a concentrated neutron beam at it, so that simultaneously the atoms would release their energy creating an explosion?

I've been pondering this one for awhile.

My thanks for help!
Louise
Former Expert

Re: The one gram nuclear bomb.

Post by Louise »

coinjunky2 wrote:Hello!,

From my understanding of nuclear weapons, when during a nuclear fission chain reaction a neutron slpits uranium atom into two atoms, further producing neutrons too continue the reaction. Here's my question. Would it be physically or at least theoretically possible to have one gram of uranium 235 and shoot a concentrated neutron beam at it, so that simultaneously the atoms would release their energy creating an explosion?

I've been pondering this one for awhile.

My thanks for help!
This question is beyond the scope of this forum (which is devoted to school science fair projects). I suggest you try a usenet group (which you can access via google groups if you don't have a newsfeed/newsreader). I would try looking at the sci.physics.* groups. These groups are unmoderated, so you may see objectionable content, and you may get nonsense responses, but there are some very smart people who post to these groups.

Louise

Return to “Physical Science”