Question about hydrogen peroxide concentration?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
wishbone

Question about hydrogen peroxide concentration?

Post by wishbone »

Frist off lovely site.
I'm conducting this project in which we will study the effect of hydrogen peroxide on lettuce seed germination. Our group is starting to plan out the strategic approach, plus our professors have set up deadlines to keep track of our progress. The question that is troubling us is what concentration of hydrogen peroxide shoud we use?
Will the common 3%-10% Hydrogen peroxide do the trick or would we have get a higher hydrogen peroxide concentration?
Thx in advance. :wink:
!~!~!~!~!~!~Chamber Nautilus!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
geoffbruton
Former Expert

Post by geoffbruton »

Hi Wishbone,

Thanks for the post - this sounds like an interesting project, and I'm quite curious myself as to what you will find!

A couple of things for you to consider:

1. What is your hypothesis?

2. What do you believe will be the effect of hydrogen peroxide on the seeds?

3. Why?

You might want to consider performing the experiments multiple times (in series) with a variety of peroxide concentrations. Also, how do you plan on administering the hydrogen peroxide solutions to the seeds?

In addition, please be sure to use sufficient safety precautions when handling and working with hydrogen peroxide - that will include safety glasses, gloves and a lab coat. Your science teacher will be able to make sure that you are working safely.

Please let us know a bit more about your project, and I'm sure it will turn out great!

Best wishes,
Geoff.
Geoff Bruton
Firearm & Toolmark Section
Ventura County Sheriff's Department
Forensic Sciences Laboratory

Return to “Physical Science”