help me

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
s-c-r-i-b-b-l-e-s

help me

Post by s-c-r-i-b-b-l-e-s »

HELP ME!!!! i need help with this question:
does the placement of different masses on a lever affect the equilibrium of the equal arm balance?
!~*all help appreciated*~!
:D
joe
says
HAI
=D
s-c-r-i-b-b-l-e-s

Re: help me

s-c-r-i-b-b-l-e-s wrote:HELP ME!!!! i need help with this question:
does the placement of different masses on a lever affect the equilibrium of the equal arm balance?
!~*all help appreciated*~!
:D
wait.....nevermind i figured it out.....MUHAHAHAHA!!! FEAR MEH!! -cough- ._.
joe
says
HAI
=D
jeffreyshu
Former Expert

Post by jeffreyshu »

Can you tell us what you did to figure it out? Other people may also have the same question as you did.
s-c-r-i-b-b-l-e-s

jeffreyshu wrote:Can you tell us what you did to figure it out? Other people may also have the same question as you did.
i asked my parents to help me...
oh and im suposed to write a research paper on this queston. doyou have any idea what i should write about? please respond A.S.A.P.
joe
says
HAI
=D
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

To write a research paper you have to actually do some research, not just ask an authority (such as us or your parents).

If I was you, I would go get a rigid object, such as a ruler, and something to use as weights....coins perhaps, they are the same weight as each other and can be taped together etc, and then something to balance the ruler on....preferably something round or triangular (with point sticking up).

Then I would experiment with the weights and see what it does to the balance of the lever arm (the ruler) and report on my results.

For it to be research, you need to have a few ideas before you begin though.....you have to say what you expect to see, and then test the hypothesis with your experiment.

The difference between science and an opinion is that a scientists realize that no opinion is true unless tested. An untested opinion is called a "Hypothesis" and after stating it, the scientist then works out what tests might prove or disprove this opinion. After performing the tests that prove that the opinion is correct, an hypothesis must also stand up to other scientists performing the same test.

Finally...if new evidence comes along and is also tested and repeatable the scientist has to change his opinion. No scientific theory is really considered "the truth". It's just the best "opinion" we have of how things work that we've come up with so far.

"Asking your parents" is how things were done before the scientific method was put into practice. It is known as "appeal to authority" and while useful if that authority is correct, can lead to very strange behaviors if the authority is incorrect.

So...to do your research paper, you need to actually predict what will happen and then test your predictions. It actually doesn't matter if your prediction was proved or disproved by the tests - what matters is that the process was followed and you learn something by the experiment and you communicate your idea, experiment and results to your instructor.

Return to “Physical Science”