X-Ray Device

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
PhilipPierce
Former Expert

X-Ray Device

Post by PhilipPierce »

Hi,

I purchased an x-ray tube for my project last year and had some problems with it and was wondering how I could fix them for this year's project.

Whenever I turn the x-ray on, it emits a strong EM field which interferes with most of my radiation instruments, and it arcs at various places on the cable and the tube. I was wondering if there was a way to lower the EM interference and to decrease the arcing.

The high-voltage power supply is 10-60 kV at 2mA. I have a Radiation Safety Officer and an X-ray license from the Department of Health, along with safety instruments and shielding, so the machine itself is safe.

Thanks for any help,
Philip
Louise
Former Expert

Re: X-Ray Device

Post by Louise »

PhilipPierce wrote:Hi,

I purchased an x-ray tube for my project last year and had some problems with it and was wondering how I could fix them for this year's project.

Whenever I turn the x-ray on, it emits a strong EM field which interferes with most of my radiation instruments, and it arcs at various places on the cable and the tube. I was wondering if there was a way to lower the EM interference and to decrease the arcing.

The high-voltage power supply is 10-60 kV at 2mA. I have a Radiation Safety Officer and an X-ray license from the Department of Health, along with safety instruments and shielding, so the machine itself is safe.

Thanks for any help,
Philip
Philip,
This forum is intended for school children who need help with school projects. Obviously your question (and research) is beyond the scope of the help we will provide.
I suggest you contact the company that made or sold you your tube and ask them for assistance. There are methods of shielding devices from electromagnetic radiation, but given that the device seems to be malfunctioning (arcing on the cable sound like a very serious problem to me) I would recommend seeking professional help rather than trying to electrically isolate your equipment yourself. I'm concerned that the machine itself isn't safe; even if you have a license, a radiation officer, and instructions, if you are not an expert, you could be misjudging the situation. I know more about my laser system than the radiation safety office for my lab, and I know that following the operating procedures for my laser could get you seriously hurt if the machine weren't working properly.

Louise
PhilipPierce
Former Expert

Post by PhilipPierce »

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll contact them instead.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

PhilipPierce wrote:Hi Louise,

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll contact them instead.
Thanks. If after talking to them, you still have to fix the shielding problem yourself, I would recommend looking for an appropriate forum on 'usenet'. Those forums are more open in scope, and there are some amazingly smart people posting in the various sci groups.

Louise

Return to “Physical Science”