Vectors

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
Melvin

Vectors

Post by Melvin »

May I ask you for a clear and simple explanation and definition of vectors.

If you have time, I would also want to know the relationships between vectors and inclined planes
Plasmolysis

hello

Post by Plasmolysis »

GOod luck :!: :!: :lol: 8) :o :) :D :P :wink:
Melvin

Vectors

Post by Melvin »

No thank-you
Melvin

Vectors

Post by Melvin »

all i need is an answer , not a good-luck!!
Melvin

Vectors

Post by Melvin »

And no, you don't need a good-luck for an answer
EDS
Former Expert

Re: Vectors

Post by EDS »

Melvin wrote:May I ask you for a clear and simple explanation and definition of vectors.

If you have time, I would also want to know the relationships between vectors and inclined planes
Hi Melvin,

I've got to run in a minute, but will come back and give you some more thorough help later on if you still need it.

In short, a vector is an arrow in space that has a direction and magnitude (a length, or an amount). The force of gravity acting on your body is a good example - it's got a direction (straight down) and a magnitude (how much you weigh.) The velocity of a moving car is another example - it's got a direction and a magnitude (how fast the car is going.) It's possible to add and subtract vectors and do other math with them. Try searching google or looking at a high school level physics text book for a detailed discussion.

It's possible to come up with much more precise and abstract definitions of vectors, but those are probably only relevant if you're taking college level physics or math classes.

Sorry - got to run. Will offer some inclined plane discussion later on.

You might try a google search for "inclined plane" and "vector", however the results will probably assume you know a little bit about how to add and subtract vectors, so you might have to read up on that first.

best,
Erik
--
Erik Shirokoff
Science Buddies
Ask an Expert Program
davidmoilanen

Post by davidmoilanen »

Mathematically a plane is defined by two lines going in different directions. Vectors can also define a plane. If you have two different vectors going in different directions you can imagine laying a piece of paper on top of the two lines defining the vectors. The piece of paper is a plane and more specifically, it is the plane defined by the two vectors. If the vectors are at an angle relative to some other surface, then the plane that they define will be an inclined plane.
David Moilanen
Melvin

Vectors

Post by Melvin »

Thank you for replying.....
EDS
Former Expert

Re: Vectors

Post by EDS »

To give you a little more detail -

If you try to lift an object straight up off the floor, you have to apply a force equal to the full force of gravity acting on an object.

On the other hand, if you slide the object up an inclined plane, you only have to conteract the small fraction of the gravitational force that's pointing along the surface of the plane. Thus it's easier to roll something heavy up a shallow ramp rather than to lift it directly, and the shallower the ramp, the easier it becomes. The same sort of thing happens to an object rolling (or sliding) down an inclined plane.

That statement can be quantified, but you need to know a bit about the properties of vectors and forces first. Your best bet is probably a textbook or a few google searches. Any highschool level physics book will probably treat inclined planes in detail.

Here's a web site that seems to have a pretty thorough discussion, although I haven't read it too carefully.
http://www.physics.smu.edu/~wick/phys13 ... ectors.doc
(If your computer cannot read the document, you can get a free reader at http://www.openoffice.org/)

I found it with this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... 22+vectors

Best,
Erik
--
Erik Shirokoff
Science Buddies
Ask an Expert Program

Return to “Physical Science”