Help for my daughter's school project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
gandros

Help for my daughter's school project

Post by gandros »

Hi,

My daughter needs to build a machine that includes all the following simple devices: A lever, wheel and axel, a screw, a pulley and an incline plane.

Do you have any ideas of a science project that would fill the above requirements?

Thanks for your time,

Greg
Greg A.
Arlington Heights, IL
jessicahua
Former Expert

Post by jessicahua »

I think you can try to make a roller coaster ...however, I am not positive. I'll post more info later. :?
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

~ Sir Walter Scott
jessicahua
Former Expert

Post by jessicahua »

Hello again!

You can try the roller coaster idea, but you would have to alter it I believe to include everything you need: pulleys, levers, screws... Also, you can try to make like a mousetrap or something like that like the game. However, if you don't want to copy that idea...you can use the concept from the game and use it for something else. For example...to cut something.

I hope this is clear and it helps! :D
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"

~ Sir Walter Scott
gandros

Thanks

Post by gandros »

Jessica,

Thanks for the tips. You've definitely given me some good ideas.

Greg
Greg A.
Arlington Heights, IL
Ceal Craig

Simple machines

Post by Ceal Craig »

Consider a "Rube Goldberg" kind of device. One that simply moves a ball around, like a ball bearing or a marble, from one point to another.

The function of the overall system is not likely to be critical. What will be important is using all the various devices. Have fun with it. Consider using pipe insulation foam as a carrier (it's easily cut w/ scissors), or some other kind of tubing that can easily be cut.

"Car" path could vary depending on whether it's a ball bearing or marble (size and weight are different). Lots of variabilty there.

Sort of like a roller coaster, but could using chain, you could add power back in midway (a roller coaster doesn't do that; highest hill is first hill).

Check out this website for some ideas on setup of your coaster like device.
http://www.funderstanding.com/k12/coaster/
Ceal Craig
Ask an Expert Forum/Coach
Science Buddies

Return to “Physical Science”