Bristlebot not working on solar

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

caf71cf0354e452cbae49f704efe4722

Bristlebot not working on solar

Post by caf71cf0354e452cbae49f704efe4722 »

Hi, I'm Hiraa'. I built my Bristlebot, but it only worked on battery power. The solar power does not appear to be working, although it is mid afternoon, not cloudy, and the bot is next to the existing solar panel on the roof of the house. Can you please help?
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Re: Bristlebot not working on solar

Post by jskanderson »

caf71cf0354e452cbae49f704efe4722 wrote:Hi, I'm Hiraa'. I built my Bristlebot, but it only worked on battery power. The solar power does not appear to be working, although it is mid afternoon, not cloudy, and the bot is next to the existing solar panel on the roof of the house. Can you please help?
Hi Hiraa',

Welcome to ScienceBuddies!

I assume you're referring to this project here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Blog ("Solar Powered Bristlebot").

If the weather seems relatively sunny, did you follow correct procedures regarding how to set up the solar cells, making sure to tilt them about 45 degrees so that sunlight can directly hit the panels? (Step 4?) If so, we may need a few more details about your experiment so that we can help solve this issue!

This is a "Life, Earth, and Social Sciences" forum, so experts in the "Physical Sciences" forum (which handles topics like engineering and robotics) may be able to better assist you if you have an issue with the actual engineering of your bristlebot or solar panels!

Hope this helped, and please don't hesitate to ask any more questions,

JSK
[moderator note: I will move this topic to the physical science forum]
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: Bristlebot not working on solar

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi Hiraa',

It is also possible that your circuit may be wired incorrectly. You may want to recheck the procedure and the accompanying slideshow with directions. Also, this troubleshooting page for the project may be helpful: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... =Blog#help
I hope your project works out! Let us know if you have any more questions!

Elena

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”