A Magnetic Primer Design/Help with Hypothesis

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ssoumilas

A Magnetic Primer Design/Help with Hypothesis

Post by ssoumilas »

Hello,

My son is interested in doing the DNA/Magnetic Primer Design experiment and we are looking for some help in coming up with a strong hypothesis.

Thanks for your guidance!

Kind regards,
Shawn Soumilas
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: A Magnetic Primer Design/Help with Hypothesis

Post by RicaC »

Dear Mr. Soumilas,

A strong hypothesis should follow this format: "If (state the independent variable and explain how it changes) then (state the dependent variable and explain how it changes)". If you want to expand on your hypothesis, you can include your background information to support your hypothesis, after stating the dependent variable and describing the change. I think that this is a good format to follow because it allows you to clearly express the relationship between the independent and dependent variables. For example, let's say that the the research question was, "Does seed size affect plant height?". A hypothesis could be "If the seed size is larger, then the plant height will increase because larger seeds produce seedlings that have better access to nutrients, which are essential to plant growth.".

These links from Science Buddies might also help you:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/a-strong-hypothesis
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... hypothesis

I hope this helps you and your son create a strong hypothesis.

RicaC

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”