Transporting water filters.without shaking layers.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Kellyellen1

Transporting water filters.without shaking layers.

Post by Kellyellen1 »

Any ideas about how my child can safely transport homemade water filters without disturbing the layers which are made up of sand, charcoal pebbles, etc. I thought about having him make fresh filters with the dry materials and pouring epoxy resin over it to "freeze" the layers. He won't have to use the filters again. It would be for display only. Any suggestions?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Transporting water filters.without shaking layers.

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Kellyellen,
Thank you for your patience waiting for a reply. Maybe your child could experiment with using the epoxy resin on just a small corner of the water filters, to see if that stabilizes the display. If that doesn't seem to work, maybe your child could take photographs of the filters, and display the photos. Another idea, which seems like a lot more work, would be to take the materials to the fair, and recreate small versions of the filters.

I hope this helps and please let us know what you try and how it works out! Best of Luck.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”