umbrarkk

effect of lemon juice on plant growth

Postby umbrarkk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:12 am

My daughter who is in grade 5 is doing her project " Effects of Different Liquids on Plant Growth"
She used water, orange soda, liquid coffee and Lemon juice to see the effects on the growth of plants( same ).
Now, the plant that she fed lemon juice every day had the negative impact- yellow leaves, leaves drooping and falling off and of course not growing.
Her and I tried to research Why lemon juice does it but we couldn't find enough information for her grade level to explain it.
Can someone please give us more information( for a 10 year old learning level)??

klhjbh62604

Re: effect of lemon juice on plant growth

Postby klhjbh62604 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Hello umbrarkk:

What a great project for a 5th grader. I have attached a website that I think will help your daughter understand exactly what is going on. Take note that the lemon juice is to the far left on the pH scale, meaning it is quite acidic.

http://www.plantea.com/pH.htm

Please reply to this thread if you have any further questions after reading through the website provided.

Thanks,
klhjbh62604

umbrarkk

Re: effect of lemon juice on plant growth

Postby umbrarkk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 am

Thanks a lot for the website. I had a look through it and it has great information to help my daughter understand as well.
Thanks again!!

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”