Water & Soil

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

DONASH6626
Project Question: Water Quality and Contamination Experiment
Project Due Date: April 10, 2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Water & Soil

Post by DONASH6626 »

If I mix vegetable oil with water, then it will separate (even if I stir it well), but when I pour it through soil, the soil soaks up the oil.
If I pour the water and vinegar into the soil, the soil will seep through the cheesecloth.
If I pour laundry detergent mixed with water through the soil, the soil will retain the suds

These are my hypothesis, but I need to know if they will actually happen?
grace7177
Former Expert
Project Question: Biochemistry
Project Due Date: Completed
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Water & Soil

Post by grace7177 »

Hi DONASH6626,
Welcome to Science Buddies!

It seems that you are about to conduct a project related to soil adsorption or permeability.
Since you are mixing three different substances (i.e., vegetable oil, vinegar, and laundry detergent) with water to test the retention of the soil, you should make clear of this in your hypothesis.

It's also a good idea to check out this link https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #checklist to see if you met all the requirements in making a good hypothesis.

The next step would be writing a experimental procedure. In fact, Science Buddies provides a great guideline for this step: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... dure.shtml

You should also organize a materials list along with your experiemental procedure.

Hope this helps and good luck!

-Grace

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”