How sweet is it project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

nola_fit
Project Question: son and I are doing the how sweet it is project. we decided to add the question of how much of each food we would need to get the 15g of glucose to a diabetic when their sugar is low. with the percentages in each food how do we come up with the answer. Need an equation I am sure it is hitting me in the face, but not seeing it.
Project Due Date: The actual experiment must be done my Nov 21, 2013 would like the equation by then so we can make sure we understand it for the final due date of Dec 5
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

How sweet is it project

Post by nola_fit »

My son and I are doin the How sweet is it project from this site. has been fun so far, but we decided to add the question of how much of each food or beverage we tested would we need to get the 15 g of glucose to a diabetic who has low blood sugar. I am not the best at math so need help with finding the amount of a food when all I have is the percent of glucose from the test strip. We have just started so I am just looking into this hopeful that I can figure it out once we do the project, but in case we can't would love some help.
scibuddyAK
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm registering because I'm interested in volunteering with the Ask an Expert program to help students with their science fair projects.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How sweet is it project

Post by scibuddyAK »

Hi,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the experience so far! I'd suggest the best way to do this would be to measure the mass of the food being tested, since you already know the percent of glucose in it, and go from there to determine the amount of that food needed to satisfy the 15 g requirement. For example, if the food weighs 10 g, and the percent glucose is 10%, there is 1 g of glucose in that food. You'd therefore need 15 items of that food for 15 g of glucose.

Hope this helped!
nola_fit
Project Question: son and I are doing the how sweet it is project. we decided to add the question of how much of each food we would need to get the 15g of glucose to a diabetic when their sugar is low. with the percentages in each food how do we come up with the answer. Need an equation I am sure it is hitting me in the face, but not seeing it.
Project Due Date: The actual experiment must be done my Nov 21, 2013 would like the equation by then so we can make sure we understand it for the final due date of Dec 5
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: How sweet is it project

Post by nola_fit »

thanks for the help that does clear it up. figured this forum could help us out.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”