Greenhouse effect science project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Jrr
Project Question: Greenhouse effect science fair project
Project Due Date: 1/28/2014
Project Status: Not applicable

Greenhouse effect science project

Post by Jrr »

My daughter is doing a science fair project on the greenhouse effect. We are using two air sealed jars with the same amount of soil in both but in one we are adding dry ice to use for carbon dioxide and place under a lamp. I was wondering how much dry ice will need to be added. Thanks
scibuddyAK
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm registering because I'm interested in volunteering with the Ask an Expert program to help students with their science fair projects.
Project Due Date: n/a

Re: Greenhouse effect science project

Post by scibuddyAK »

Hi there!

Interesting project idea!

Just one thing to note is that, in my opinion, IF you're doing an experiment, I would have the light and carbon dioxide set up under different conditions so you can measure the effects of each one individually (and possibly together) on the jars. Otherwise, if it's a demonstration-type project, this sounds like a great setup!

I'm not sure about dry ice - in my experience, I've always added CO2 through other mechanisms for slightly different purposes. However, I believe that if you research some climate change statistics, you could probably find (in ppm: parts per million) the amount of CO2 in regular vs. global warming conditions, or some information like that. That may help you decide how much dry ice to put - perhaps correlating the ppm in air to the amount in dry ice could help, while this may be difficult. Another consideration I have is that dry ice is probably difficult to measure and a bit risky to hand for an elementary school student. That being said, I'd say to try looking into alternatives if you have the time/resources - I remember I used a pump when I tried to add CO2 in a jar with algae, although I don't know if that's the best way to do it.

I hope some other Experts can chime in here to help further. I'm sorry if this didn't fully answer your question - hope this helps, though!

Thanks!
dpututor
Expert
Project Question: I would like to become an Ask the Expert in order to become a part of this wonderful program!
Project Due Date: n/a

Re: Greenhouse effect science project

Post by dpututor »

Hello!
A possible way to create CO2 involves the reaction between water, baking soda and lemon juice. Below is a link to an experiment where CO2 is produced and inflates a balloon. You could store the CO2 you made in the balloon until you need to transfer it into the jar showing the CO2 effects.
http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/experiment ... loons.html

I hope this works!
Lily

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”