Electricity & Saltwater

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Clunde
Project Question: Need a question answered
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Electricity & Saltwater

Post by Clunde »

Why does saltwater start changing colour when an electrical current goes through it for an extended period of time?
khufker
Former Expert
Project Question: Inclusion Programs
Project Due Date: 2/1/13
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Electricity & Saltwater

Post by khufker »

I'm not entirely sure, but could it have something to do with the metal corroding? I'm assuming that you are using something like alligator clips and a power source to supply the electricity. How long has the current been going through the saltwater?
Katie
dpututor
Expert
Project Question: I would like to become an Ask the Expert in order to become a part of this wonderful program!
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Electricity & Saltwater

Post by dpututor »

Hello!
Did the liquid turn a dark green color? If so, this could be caused by the oxidation of the metal on your alligator clip! I found a presentation online where a student tested whether or not there was a color change in liquids with high salt concentrations, and his salt water and "saltier" water (double the concentration of salt than in salt water) turned a dark green color after exposed to electrical current.

Lily

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”