lwellins

Need help with a hypothesis for "Which brand of tuna has the most mercury"

Postby lwellins » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:21 pm

I do not understand how to make the prediction without first doing the research.

4th Grade Science Fair project.

achiarel
Former Expert

Re: Need help with a hypothesis for "Which brand of tuna has the most mercury"

Postby achiarel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:51 am

To form a hypothesis you'll definitely want to do initial research.
You can look at other aspects, like the type of tuna. Or you can compare the amount of mercury found in other food items between the same various brands.

kerriackerly
Expert

Re: Need help with a hypothesis for "Which brand of tuna has the most mercury"

Postby kerriackerly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi wellins!

The way that I usually come up with my predictions are by making sure that I have clearly defined my research question and done background research regarding that question.

So in this case, your question would be 'Which brand of tuna has the most mercury?' Now, your next step would be to start doing some background research on how fish get mercury in their muscle (which is what is in the can of tuna you're eating), and then looking to see if there are certain species of tuna that have been found to have more mercury in them than others. You could also look at the each brand's website or contact the brands that you are using for the more specific details of what is in their products.

From this research, and the information that you collect, you'll be able to come up with a hypothesis and predictions! You may find that some companies use skipjack tuna and some companies use yellowfin in different combinations, and that one species tends to have more mercury than another. And then you would be able to make predictions based on that information.

I hope that helped! If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know!

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”