Help with controlled variables and inependent variables for a rock candy science project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

michaelyoungblood

Help with controlled variables and inependent variables for a rock candy science project

Post by michaelyoungblood »

Help with controlled variables and inependent variables for a rock candy project
jcschrandt
Former Expert

Re: Help with controlled variables and inependent variables for a rock candy science project

Post by jcschrandt »

Can you please describe what you're trying to do?
gnebbia

Re: Help with controlled variables and inependent variables for a rock candy science project

Post by gnebbia »

I too need help with variables on this rock candy experiment. We did the experiment and our results were that crystals grew in both jars - the non seeded at a slower rate, and it was less dense in the jar. The seeded was more saturated, and crystals were on the string, bottom, sides, and top of the jar. I'm not exactly sure what I should have been measuring to be able to have results and a graph. Would my independent variable be whether or not it is seeded? And then the dependent be size of the crystal at the end of 7 days. If the crystals were formed in the entire jar, how do I measure that? Thanks for any help that can be provided.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. You are correct for your independent and dependent variables. Can you identify your control variables? Remember,
controlled variables are settings you wish to keep constant in your experiment so that it doesn't affect the outcome.

As far as what you are supposed to measure, is there a noticeable difference in the amount of growth on the string you can measure or just overall in the jar? If it is more noticeable across the entire jar, perhaps remove the crystals from the jar and weigh them. You can create a chart of difference in weight. If you do this, be sure to take pictures of the jars before you remove the crystals if you wish to include that in your report or on your presentation board.

I hope this helps. Certainly write back if you have more questions.

Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”