Choice cheesecakes:Which cooking method is best?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ellielovestocook

Choice cheesecakes:Which cooking method is best?

Post by ellielovestocook »

Hello,

We are interested in the cheesecake baking method experiment: Which cooking method is best? I have tried to google this question, but have had no luck...Is there a difference between "traditional" cheesecake versus New York Cheesecake? Is it just how it is cooked, or are the ingredients different? Also, if you use the "water bath", which recipe would one use for the cheesecake itself, to make sure the ingredients were the same? Thanks!
324B21
Former Expert
Project Question: Setting up an account to hopefully volunteer and help others learn and enjoy science!
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Choice cheesecakes:Which cooking method is best?

Post by 324B21 »

Hi there. I have tailored this post for both you and your kiddo so it can be read out loud if you think it might be of use to them too.

I love your username. I love cooking too! This is such a fun project, and I am thrilled you have decided to do this. Fun fact: Did you know cheesecake was invented in Greece?

So the question posed about the difference is the addition of a specific ingredient. NY Cheesecake has sour cream added. If sour cream is not available then heavy cream is substituted (though most NY'ers would rather go out in the snow to get some sour cream versus using heavy cream). NY cheesecake is much denser than your average cheesecake, and tastes a lot more tart because of the sour cream. If you have ever eaten cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory or from Trader Joes, you have had NY Cheesecake! What do you think having a denser consistency means as far as where it can and can't go well temperature wise? Think about it, and I will put the answer at the bottom of this post in case you get stuck.

So--for the water bath cheesecake the key is EXACT temperature. This method is a bit more tricky than your average cheesecake. Your ingredients will stay the same, and there is not a specific type of cheesecake that would be "better"--though that is such a great question that shows how much you have been thinking about this project! The water bath will help keep the cheesecake from drying out while you bake it. The big thing with using a water bath is to ensure that there is always water in your underneath pan while you bake it. If you notice the water evaporating really quickly, you might need to add more (DISCLAIMER: The cake and pan will be very hot if your water is evaporating. Please have an adult add the water for you. Your job should this be needed is to supervise and make sure they put in the amount of water you think is right) With water bath cheesecake about 2 inches is standard.

Ok--so answer time. Where can denser cheesecakes go that normal cheesecakes have a hard time going (while still tasting as good)?

The freezer! The denser, the better. Lighter cheesecakes like those from Japan and France can not be put into the freezer without the taste being changed.

I hope this helps. Please reach out to us again if you have any further questions. Have fun!

Elizabeth

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”