Flowers did not turn color of juice

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Bhummel

Flowers did not turn color of juice

Post by Bhummel »

Hi! I know from previous experiment that plants placed in water with dye can change stem and petal colors. I tried it with juice (all natural, no dye cranberry, grape and orange) but the color did not change! They did get some water since they did not wilt right away, but no color. I researched transpiration and capillary actio, but I can't figure out why juice was different and did not dye petals. Can you help? Thanks!!
allisontu
Former Student Expert

Re: Flowers did not turn color of juice

Post by allisontu »

Hi Bhummel,

The juices you used might not be pigmented enough to color the flowers. Since the plants don't absorb a huge amount of water at a time, the dye you use should be pretty concentrated. I recommend using food coloring mixed with water, or, if you want to stick with natural dyes, you can make concentrated vegetable dyes with the instructions on this website.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/change-col ... 60114.html

Hope this helped,
Allison

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”