Silicon form in horsetail and proso millet

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Dariusz987

Silicon form in horsetail and proso millet

Post by Dariusz987 »

What is (exactly chemical name and formula) - silicon form and weight content in dry mass, calculated as pure silicon ions in:
*** field horsetail (Equisetum arvense L.), and
*** proso millet - Panicum miliaceum L., (disturbed grain, devoid of scales)?
I find conflicting information: They contain silicon dioxide (SiO2), or overall term "silicon", "silica",
sometimes "silicon acid", or "orthosilicic acid".
FRickels
Former Expert

Re: Silicon form in horsetail and proso millet

Post by FRickels »

Hi Dariusz987!

Apologies for the late reply. From what I can tell with a couple Google searches, field horsetail and proso millet both contain silica specifically, which is a form of silicon with additional oxygen. Here's a bit more reference if you're interested or if the discrepancy comes up again: http://www.differencebetween.com/differ ... vs-silica/

I would recommend doing a Google search for some scientific sources that give the chemical components of field horsetail and proso millet. I'd invite any experts who have more knowledge on the topic to give some input but I think a Google search will give you some quality information.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

-FRickels

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”