Evolution & Reproductive Organ Mutations

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

PrincessHayden

Evolution & Reproductive Organ Mutations

Post by PrincessHayden »

I don't find evolution hard to accept as in it is clearly true that species evolve, and some of these mutations are more helpful than others, so more likely to live. I am having trouble with the inference part that describes how a new species happens.

The part I'm fuzzy on is- a new species is by definition not able to reproduce with viable offspring with individuals from its parents' species. This new individual must then (here's where I'm fuzzy) - try to find a compatible partner, mate and produce reproducible offspring. I'm assuming this means, there needs to be a mutation maybe with the reproductive organ somehow.

This doesn't seem likely to happen though- given the complexity of reproduction. If you change one thing- even a slight thing, so that the individual seems "infertile" to its parents' species, it seems far more likely the offspring would be inviable. Probably a Darwinist would say- yes but this happens over such a long period of time, that eventually you get a hit and it happens. This I even accept, but then how can it keep happening over and over without something unknown acting on it so that it's successful.

I guess I'm saying that with reproduction specifically, the changes so dramatically affect mortality, that it seems unlikely to happen slowly at all. Should be big jumps- or else you get no infant individuals at all.

Thanks for your help. I hope my question makes sense.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Evolution & Reproductive Organ Mutations

Post by AmyCowen »

Can you please let us know what hands-on science project you are working on that is related to your post? What grade is this project for?

Science Buddies
PrincessHayden

Re: Evolution & Reproductive Organ Mutations

Post by PrincessHayden »

I’m in third grade in Tag program. We don’t have a lot of projects but sometimes I get extra math or science textbooks from my teacher and my mom. I tried to ask them both, but they weren’t sure on the answer.

I’m sorry if I asked in the wrong place. Please let me know where I can ask my question.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”