Trash to Biogas in Garage?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Samuelsmom

Trash to Biogas in Garage?

Post by Samuelsmom »

Good morning. We just completed prep of the bottle for the Trash to Biogas science experiment. We have the bottles outside on the porch as recommended in the instructions, but we are having cold weather. Can we put the in the garage away from the washing machine/electricity? I’m afraid the cold weather will affect our results.
Typhoon_MkII

Re: Trash to Biogas in Garage?

Post by Typhoon_MkII »

I was wondering, is it dangerous to do it in an inhabited building? Could I do it in the basement or should it be done only in the shed, outside of the house?
Because I live in a flat right now, but I was planning to buy this house in Greece for the holidays; since it has a basement, I wanted to conduct science experiments with my son there, at least the ones which aren't too dangerous :lol: but since I'm not familiar about biogas, I wanted to be sure first.

[Link removed]
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Trash to Biogas in Garage?

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Samuelsmom,
Yes, I believe there should be no problem to bring it in from the porch into the garage or other well ventilated area and away from anything that could spark. (Biogas (methane) is flammable so you just want to be careful with it.)

Good Luck and please post again if you have any other questions!
Willey

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”