Growing Crystals – Solutions Sets Up To Quickly

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ginawittner

Growing Crystals – Solutions Sets Up To Quickly

Post by ginawittner »

I have tried repeatedly to grow sugar crystals with no success. I have been doing 3 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water. Mason jar and a wooden skewer. I have tried this experiment both high humidity conditions and low humidity conditions.
Some things that I have tried:
Putting seed crystals on my skewer Letting the skewer with the seed crystals dry overnight
Boiling the solution for a full five minutes
Sterilizing and heating the jar
Every time, my solution ends up hardening in the jar in such a way that I have a solid mass from which I cannot remove the skewer unless I melt the contents of the jar. This happens rather quickly, too. Is there some reason that this specific thing is happening? I have read a lot about crystals not forming on the string or stick, but I have not seen anything about this.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Growing Crystals – Solutions Sets Up To Quickly

Post by AmyCowen »

Have you looked at this procedure?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

Notice that the procedure doesn't add all of the sugar at once. You might look through this and see if it varies in any way from what you have been trying.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”