Banded (striped) legs on spiders

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Catherineckx

Banded (striped) legs on spiders

Post by Catherineckx »

Have been studying spiders with students, and wondered if entomologists have ideas as to why so many spider species have banded (striped) legs. Is this along the lines of a warning to would-be predators?
NehaK6
Former Student Expert

Re: Banded (striped) legs on spiders

Post by NehaK6 »

Hi Catherineckx!

Is this related to a science project of sorts? Here in the Ask an Expert Forums, we seek to help students, parents, and teachers like you with project ideas and guidance when a problem occurs or a question arises. Please let us know if this is related to a science project and we’d be more than happy to help, otherwise there are many other websites and forums that can be of use for finding an answer. :D

Thank you!
Neha
Catherineckx

Post by Catherineckx »

Thank you, Neha. My query was general, and not science project-specific. My apologies - I'll search elsewhere. But I thank you for your amicable redirection! Once or twice, in years past, when trying to find information (not necessarily science-related), I've inquired at various forums that, I thought, might provide an answer and was absolutely rebuked. Your courtesy is much appreciated. This is a helpful website, and one I'll keep in mind as my grandkids reach science project age.
NehaK6
Former Student Expert

Post by NehaK6 »

Hi Catherineckx,
Sorry for the late response but of course, and thank you so much for understanding! Please let us know if there’s anything else we can you help with in the future and feel free to stop by the Science Buddies website at anytime and explore (especially with your grandkids :) ).

Thank you for the support!
Neha

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”