Crystals science experiement for 1st grade

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

dbrightwell

Crystals science experiement for 1st grade

Post by dbrightwell »

Hello,

I am a first grade teacher. I wanted to do an experiment for our science fair about making crystals. I have done a lot of research and I think I am not just spinning in circles. what is the best experiment to do to make crystals for 1st graders.
I am having a hard time figuring out the essential question,
which salt grows better crystals ?
Which kind of salt will grow crystals?
How many days will it take to grow a crystal?
Sugar crystals ?
Do I do a water temperature variable instead of different kinds of salt?

Using the 7 steps of scientific method to create our science booklets;
what would be our background research that is not over 1st graders head?
our hypothesis, how do I give them background knowledge of salt?
How many different kinds of salt should I use?
Alum salt
Table salt
Epson salt
Sea salt
Iodized salt
Salt substitute

Thank you for your help.
Deanna.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Crystals science experiement for 1st grade

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Deanna,

Welcome to Science Buddies and thank you for your patience waiting for a response!

Your list of questions certainly shows that you've done a lot of background research.

The Science Buddies project database has several projects related to growing crystals. Each project includes a "background" section. Reviewing those sections and looking up some of the references might help you decide which of the projects are suitable for your first graders. Or you can select parts of each of several projects to create your own project.

Here's a link to one of the projects which might help you.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ls#summary

You could also use the "search sciencebuddies.org" feature in the top right hand side of this page. Try searching for something like "how to grow crystals." Searching that way will lead to you to projects and also lead to other science buddies resources.

Let us know if some of this helps and please be sure to post again when you have more questions.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Crystals science experiement for 1st grade

Post by AmyCowen »

Because you are working with first graders, you may also find the "activity" version of How to Grow the Best Crystals helpful, in addition to looking at the project Madeline linked. The activity is not written as a complete science fair project for students to do on their own (the way the project version is) but instead guides a short activity with a scientific explanation of what may be observed. You might find it helpful as you determine what to do with your students:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/stem-act ... w-crystals

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”