Determining the VARIABLES

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jesika917

Determining the VARIABLES

Post by jesika917 »

I'm doing an experiment testing for the lead concentration in soil in different locations.

So far, I understand that the concentration of lead would be my dependent variable.

The soil samples would be the independent variable.(?)

What would be my control variable?
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

What grade are you in? Working with lead and lead assays may or may not be appropriate for your grade level. Additionally, you should ask the Science Fair sponsoring authority if this falls under a hazardous materials situation. You maybe able to do the experiment but not display any of the materials at the fair or you may not be allowed to enter it period. If you are allowed to do the experiment, you are going to need somebody to supervise your handling and disposal of the materials.

Controlled Variables are things that you need to control in order to prove or disprove your hypothesis. What is your hypothesis?

What assay methodology are you using? Different assay methods or measurement techniques can be affected by different things. In order for the assay to measure what you intend, you have to control everything that might affect the measurement that does not involve your dependent variable.

BTW: Control has another common meaning in this kind of experiment. With many assay methods you have to run "controls". In other words, you have to assay one or more controls or known samples to validate the assay methodology.
-Craig

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”