Help with science fair

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Mary Todd Brown

Help with science fair

Post by Mary Todd Brown »

My daughter is during a science project about rocks. “Which Rock Is Harderâ€
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

If you do a search for "rock hardness scale" using your favorite search engine you will get some entries that have "Mohs Scale of Hardness" one of which is http://www.bestcrystals.com/hardness.html

This scale is based on what can scratch what and goes back to the early 1800's and Frederick Mohs.

The problem with impact tests or drop/shatter tests is they tend to measure how brittle a substance is. Things can be quite hard (scratch resistant) and be extremely brittle. Glass is a good example.
-Craig
Mary Todd Brown

Post by Mary Todd Brown »

Thanks craig for the information. I purchased the kit and a collection of all three types rocks. However, I don't have a diamond, ruby,or opal to conduct the hardness experiment so is there there some other method I may use to prove my point?

I don't know how to proceed with what I have. I have to conduct an experiment that I can show on my presentation board. Please give me an idea.

Catherine
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

I would talk a science teacher and look up gemologists and/or minerologists in the phone book and see if you can find somebody who has some industrial grade diamonds, ruby, and opals that would be able to help you with your project.
-Craig

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”