Cheese in fridge or not?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

torresnj902
Project Question: Which Cheese grows the mold the fastest?
Project Due Date: 1/21/11
Project Status: I am just starting

Cheese in fridge or not?

Post by torresnj902 »

First time doing science project with 9 year old. Doing which cheese grows molds fastest and have 5 weeks to complete project. Should I leave it in the refrigerator or out of the refrigerator>
tricia.rubi
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Cheese in fridge or not?

Post by tricia.rubi »

Hi torresnj902,

Most molds grow best in warm conditions, so I would recommend keeping the cheese out of the fridge. Molds also prefer moist, dark environments. Whatever environment you choose, it is important that all your cheese types are kept in the same conditions.

Good luck!
nithintumma
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Cheese in fridge or not?

Post by nithintumma »

Hello!

If you would like, you could test if environment plays a role in the rate of mold growth on different types of cheese. For example, you could place all of your cheese types in two or three different locations, and examine the rate of mold growth. Perhaps you will find some interesting results.

Hope this helps,

Nithin T.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”