Getting a mentor and lab

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

scienceanddogsareawesome

Getting a mentor and lab

Post by scienceanddogsareawesome »

Hi!
I'm currently an 8th grader with an immense passion for science in the medicinal field. The project that I'm hopefully planning to do requires a lab to work in. I was wondering if you can give me any advice on this topic. Also what are the chances of me getting a mentor and lab since I am only in the 8th grade?

Thank you so much for your time!!!!!!
Crazy_Mad_Scientist

Re: Getting a mentor and lab

Post by Crazy_Mad_Scientist »

Hi scienceanddogsareawesome,

It's great how you're starting science fairs in grade 8! :D There is a page on finding mentors on the sciencebuddies website: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tem-mentor.

Don't be discouraged if you don't receive many replies at first. You only need one suitable lab, so keep an eye out!

Try researching professors at your local university studying your field. Then, email the professors asking for a meeting. Talk about your ideas for your project, how they tie in with the professors' research, and attach a short resume.

I hope this helps! :)
CMS
maleencabe
Former Expert

Re: Getting a mentor and lab

Post by maleencabe »

scienceanddogsareawesome wrote:Hi!
I'm currently an 8th grader with an immense passion for science in the medicinal field. The project that I'm hopefully planning to do requires a lab to work in. I was wondering if you can give me any advice on this topic. Also what are the chances of me getting a mentor and lab since I am only in the 8th grade?

Thank you so much for your time!!!!!!
Hi scienceanddogsareawesome!

It's absolutely awesome that you have a great appreciation for the medical field! I would also second the previous responder's suggestion of reaching out to research professors at local universities. Many of them are willing to have volunteers/students in their labs and are also willing to provide such members an opportunity to do a small project. They are excellent resources in the event that they don't have anything that will potentially match your interests, but know somebody who will.

Best of luck!
Maleen Cabe
"The important thing is to never stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”