Do we need to print out the maps of the hurricanes and data tables?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JDPlays65

Do we need to print out the maps of the hurricanes and data tables?

Post by JDPlays65 »

Look at steps f and g. Do we need to print it? It says that we have to print the maps and data tables but I don’t really know what it is for. I am just asking if it is important for the project itself.
Science project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Do we need to print out the maps of the hurricanes and data tables?

Post by SciB »

I read the procedure where it says to print the map and data table. I think the reason they say to print the map of a hurricane's track is so you can mark on the map where the temperature buoys that you used were located. By doing that you will be able to see where the buoys were relative to the storm on a particular day and time and this could be helpful in demonstrating how accurate your results are. The closer the buoy was to the storm track, the better it is for your analysis. If it is too far away you can't use the data. However, I don't know if it is necessary to print the track for each hurricane that you analyze. They say to do a minimum of 40 storms so that would be a lot of printing and marking of buoys!

I don't see why you would need to print the data tables for all the hurricanes except to put them into a written report. You need to add a column to the table for the temperature data corresponding to the latitude and longitude of the storm center at a specific date and time, and it is easier to do this on a PC. You could also include a column for the latitude and longitude of the buoy that you used for the temperature reading to show how close it was to the hurricane's center at the time the measurement was done.

Does this answer your question? If not please post again. Maybe some other experts are more familiar with this project and can tell you what you need to do.

Good luck!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”