Science Project Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JDPlays65

Science Project Help

Post by JDPlays65 »

When I was doing the procedure for my science project, I realized that we had to record wind speed, pressure, and water temperature. Everything was doing well, until I got to the water temperature. For some temperatures, the data table read 999.0 for the water temperature. Does that count as the water temperature? Because for everything else, I got 28.5, 21.8, but for some of them I got 999.0 as the water temperature. Do I have to redo it? Or is it actually a water temperature reading? Thanks!

Science Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Project Help

Post by SciB »

The data column showing 9's is not a valid temperature reading so don't use it. The 9's indicate that the buoy did not have a working thermometer or else the sensor was not working correctly. Here's the information from the project Procedure:

"Any data field that is "9-filled" (e.g., the right-most columns highlighted in blue) is invalid. In this case, it means that the data buoy is not equipped to collect this information. In other cases, it can indicate that a sensor is not functioning properly."

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”