Chromatography Results Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

esoeder

Chromatography Results Question

Post by esoeder »

I am studying Beech Leaf Disease. I tested diseased and non-diseased leaves using chromatography. There was a dark green-colored band on the chromatography paper for the non-diseased leaf. There was a faint yellow green band on the chromatography paper for the diseased leaf. Does this indicate that Beech Leaf Disease disrupts photosynthesis?
Quark2
Former Expert

Re: Chromatography Results Question

Post by Quark2 »

It would seem likely that Beech Leaf disease would help inhibit photosynthesis, considering the results of your chromatography. The lack of a dark green band likely indicates a lack of green chlorophyll, the most essential pigment for photosynthesis. If Beech Leaf Disease somehow disables or changes the pigment, photosynthesis could be obstructed. However, you should consider other possibilities that could lead to this difference in chromatography color.
FRickels
Former Expert

Re: Chromatography Results Question

Post by FRickels »

Hi esoeder!

I agree with Quark2's observation, and I think it would be beneficial to do more trials of your experiment to make sure it is a repeatable result. Depending on how much time you have, 5 to 10 trials will help you make sure that is isn't just an anomaly.

Fiona
FRickels

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”