Filtering water from sand

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

willimammoth817

Filtering water from sand

Post by willimammoth817 »

Hello, I am doing a project on where I collect sand from across the Hawaiian Islands (Oahu, Big Island, Maui) and (I will thoroughly wash the sand for the control variables) I will filter dirty lake/marsh water and measure the quality of the water. I am very bad at thinking of science fair title names, is there a creative, catchy name you can think of? Also, any suggestions on how I should conduct my experiment? Thanks!

I would like a reply ASAP, as my teacher wants info this Friday,10/6. :?

Moderator note: I've deleted your duplicate post entitled "project names". Science Buddies' guidelines ask that you not submit your question more than once. Thank you.
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Filtering water from sand

Post by MadelineB »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies,
Thank you for your patience. Your original post (10/02) was posted as a reply to another thread, this makes it harder for the Science Buddies experts to see which posts have not been answered.

You ask several questions and I realize that you seem to have time constraints. However, in order for the experts here to help you with the answers, would you please describe your project, including your hypotheses and your plans for testing them. The Science Buddies "project guide" is a very useful resource for preparing and conducting your science project. This will help us help you!
willimammoth817

Yes, sorry for posting more than once. My hypothesis is "If the type of sand used to filter dirty water is changed, then the quality of the water will change, and I know this because different types of sand have different properties/qualities that will affect the quality of the water." My STEM teacher says to write it this way. Also, I will use a bottle and put the sand in, then pour water into the bottle. The bottom will have a system to make sure sand doesn't fall through.
willimammoth817

Over fall break I will collect the sand. Then, I will sterilize the sand to remove impurities, and I will put some sand into the bottle as the filter. I will use a water quality measurer (my STEM teacher will lend me one) and test the quality of the water, and then I will compare the results.
willimammoth817

Please respond ASAP as I do not have much time left, more specifically a few days to a week or maybe longer. Sorry for rushing you guys, I truly am, but I need a response soon.
willimammoth817

Need a catchy project title name for water filtration with sand

Since SOME people have not been helping out a lot, I'm gonna make a new post. I desperately need a science fair project title name, and a catchy one. My science fair project is on filtration of water with different types of sand and my inquiry question was: Which type of sand will filter water best? If I could get a reply ASAP that would be awesome! Thanks! :D
MadelineB

Re: Need a catchy project title name for water filtration with sand

Post by MadelineB »

Hello William and thank you for your patience.

Science fair judges are not looking for catchy project titles, rather they prefer straightforward titles which state the hypothesis for your project, perhaps something as simple as "What is the best type of sand for filtering water?"

Good luck at the science fair.
willimammoth817

Oh ok. What if I incorporate both? Actually, how about Sandy But Potable: The Filtration of Water With Sand? Thank you for your response it has been very helpful!
MadelineB

Post by MadelineB »

Hi William,
That's a good combination, although I do hope that the filtered water won't be sandy! Maybe the last step in your process could be a simple filter just to removed the sand? Best of luck at the science fair!
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Hi, William.

You have chosen an interesting project and received great advice from our experts so far. Please keep all questions to a single thread so that our experts can best help you based on what has already been discussed. We apologize you didn't receive an immediate response to your catchy title question. Our experts are volunteers, and we try to respond to all questions in a timely manner.

Good luck with your project, and thanks for using Science Buddies!
Deana
willimammoth817

Minor or Major Consequence?

As you may know, I am doing my project on the filtration of water using sand. I am currently making a CV (control variable) table and two of my sections include tools and techniques of measurement. For tools, I'm using the same TDS meter and for techniques, I am going to use the same techniques to measure my water (I don't know how to phrase it as the technique is just to lower my meter into the water). My question is, for both things, would the consequence of failure be minor or major? If I got a response ASAP that would be wonderful!
willimammoth817

Re: Minor or Major Consequence?

Both would have a consequence that affects the results.
MadelineB

Post by MadelineB »

Hi William,
As previous experts have advised, please keep your questions in the same topic so the experts who have been helping you can see your new questions.
Thank you - and thank you for your patience.
MadelineB

Post by MadelineB »

Hello William,
Could you please describe what measurements you will be recording using the TDS meter? Then describe what would happen in your measurements that you would classify as a "failure." By writing out these two steps, you might be able to describe the consequences of failure.

The Science Buddies project guide might help you to prepare these descriptions.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ience-fair

Please let us know if you have more questions!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”