Science Fair Professional Contact

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sophiadoodles

Science Fair Professional Contact

Post by sophiadoodles »

Hello to whoever reads this, my name is Sophia!

I'm currently working on a science fair project in my school, and it requires a professional contact. (For those who don't know what a professional contact is, it's kind of hard for me to explain so I'll give an example. If my science project was about oceanography, I could try contacting somebody who works professionally in that area (such as somebody who works in an aquarium.) I'd email them questions and they'd answer them and check up on how I was doing. More information can be found here https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ompetition and here https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tem-mentor.)

The project that I'm doing is about the halo effect (I found it on here https://www.education.com/science-fair/ ... lo-effect/ and here http://www.all-science-fair-projects.co ... 138_3.html) It's in the categories human behavior/sociology.

If anyone could do this for me, I would really appreciate it. Or if anybody could find someone else that I could try to contact, I would appreciate that as well. If anyone is considering doing this but had some questions about it, feel free to ask.

Thank you, and please have a great day/night!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair Professional Contact

Post by SciB »

Hi Sophia!

Have you had any luck finding a professional contact person for your project? Be persistent. You may have to call a dozen places before you find a person who has the time and is willing to answer your questions and advise you on the project.

Scibuddies can give you lots of help on setting up a good project and troubleshooting any problems, but it is really up to you to find an outside person who is knowledgeable in your area and who will help you with their experience.

Look online for people who are doing research on human behavior and sociology and see where they work. That will give you an idea where to search for possible mentors in your state. Before you call a prospective contact, be well-prepared and able to explain your project clearly and briefly and tell them why you need a professional contact person to advise you. You will find a person eventually.

Let us know how you are doing!

Sybee
sophiadoodles

Post by sophiadoodles »

Dear Sybee,

Hello! Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'll try my best to follow it.

Sincerely,
Sophia
SciB
Expert
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.

Post by SciB »

You are certainly welcome, Sophia! We are here for your questions, so if anything is not clear or you want advice on an idea or plan, don't hesitate to post.

Good luck!

Sybee
sophiadoodles

Post by sophiadoodles »

Ah, ok! Then, do you have any ideas of anyone I could contact? I tried reaching out to Standford and CSUMB so far, but none of them have answered. It's fine if you don't know of anyone though. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Sophia
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Sophia,

Psychology and social behavior is not a field I have much contact with so cannot give you a name to try. But there is a whole world of people out there and someone will help you.

Did you call specific departments and divisions in the universities you targeted? I would suggest calling and talking person-to-person. If you send an email it is too easy for it to end up in the SPAM folder, be deleted or ignored.

Do your looking online first and get phone numbers of people in the departments that pertain to your field whom you feel might help you. Before you call, think about exactly how you want to present yourself and your request. It helps me if I write out notes of what I need to say and how best to say it. It is too easy to forget something important if you don't have notes in front of you as prompts.

Identify yourself and your school and its location and the purpose of your call as soon as you talk to someone so they will know who you are and why you are calling. If they say they are unable to help you, politely ask them if they could recommend someone there, another professor or graduate student who could help, and thank them for their time.

Knowledge, enthusiasm and honesty are the three things that I consider most important in a career, and I think you have all of them. Be persistent and you will succeed.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”