Measuring bacteria grown from agar plate

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

juanbanana

Measuring bacteria grown from agar plate

Post by juanbanana »

Hi,
I am just wondering if there is an easier way to measure the amount of bacteria grown from an agar plate- as all the solutions I have researched involve using, expensive scientific equipment.
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: Measuring bacteria grown from agar plate

Post by RicaC »

Dear juanbanana,

I researched ways that you could measure the amount of bacteria, but they all seem to involve equipments that are hard to access. Therefore, you could research labs that are located nearby and contact them to ask if you could use their equipments for your experiment.

Good luck with your project.

RicaC
juanbanana

Post by juanbanana »

Hi RicaC

Thank you for your reply, I will try and research more but if there is no option left, I will do what you have suggested.

Regards

juanbanana
rpeteranderl

Post by rpeteranderl »

There is actually a way of estimating bacterial counts. It is based on using a series of standardized barium sulphate precipitations in test tubes for comparison with the bacterial sample. The crystals formed in the reaction are similar enough to bacteria to let you estimate the number of cells in suspension. Here is a link to a pdf with the protocol: http://www.dalynn.com/dyn/ck_assets/files/tech/TM53.pdf

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”