How to measure fructose

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

home9man1
Project Question: I am trying to find fructose from various drinks / juice. I looked at http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p049.shtml which shows how to find glucose, but wondering if I can measure fructose also it would help to see type of sugar in the drink.
Project Due Date: Feb 22, 2014
Project Status: I am conducting my research

How to measure fructose

Post by home9man1 »

Hi
I am doing science fair project on measuring the fructose in different drinks like coke gatorade and frutis like pineapple grape and orange juice. I havent figured out a way to measure the fructose yet. I need help on how to measure the fructose and i researched online but i couldnt find any ways to measure so can you guys help me figure out a way to measure the fructose. My project is due on Feb 26. Thanks
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to measure fructose

Post by SciB »

Hi,

If you have access to a spectrophotometer in a college or university lab, you can use the following kit to measure fructose in food: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/pro ... &region=US

All the other methods for fructose measurement that i know of would require access to a lab, analytical instruments and experience in chemistry. The anthrone assay is a very common assay for sugars, but it requires the use of concentrated sulfuric acid.

The only way I can think of for simply estimating the fructose content of your various drinks would be to buy some fructose and make a series of standards of known concentration--say 1%, 5%, 10% and so on, and use these to estimate the sweetness of the drinks. You would have to get some volunteers to drink one of the beverages then to taste fructose solutions, beginning with the lowest concentration, until they found the one that they thought was closest to the sweetness of the drink.

Sweetness is not perceived the same by everyone, so actually it would be interesting to compare the sweetness estimates of several people to one beverage by comparing it to your standards. If you tested 5 or more people, you could do a statistical analysis on the data. You could try comparing cola, apple juice and sweetened tea with your fructose standards and see how many of your test subjects [the more the better!] agreed on the sweetness level. You might be surprised at the results.

I hope this helps since i know your deadline is coming up fast.

Good luck!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”