Science Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

julia1234
Project Question: I did the gel chamber DNA. How does my daughter get it to school. If you pick it up it will ruin it
Project Due Date: April 14, 2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Science Project

Post by julia1234 »

I made the Gel Electrophores using food coloring. My question is now that it is done, it is wet, and if I move it the DNA Food Coloring will get all messed up, How can she take it to school? :shock:
julia1234
Project Question: I did the gel chamber DNA. How does my daughter get it to school. If you pick it up it will ruin it

Re: Science Project

Post by julia1234 »

ANYONE OUT THERE?
:cry:
julia1234

Post by julia1234 »

How do I read a reply. It says I have one reply but I cannot see it
calebrichter
Former Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by calebrichter »

Have you already run the dyes into the gel? If so the dyes should stay in the gel as you move it as long as you're careful. It would probably be a good idea to cover it with saran wrap to prevent it from drying out. Otherwise you could just take a picture of the results if moving the gel is a problem.

Or do you mean that you've loaded the dyes into the wells of the gel and want to transport the gel to school for running it? In that case, moving the gel might not work without disturbing the dyes. You would probably have to take the cast gel to school and then load the dyes into it.

Caleb
dpututor
Expert
Project Question: I would like to become an Ask the Expert in order to become a part of this wonderful program!
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by dpututor »

I agree with Caleb, gels are incredibly fragile and because normal food coloring is not very dense, it is likely that the food coloring will spread out of the wells upon movement. In the future I would recommend running the gel at your school.
I hope you were able to figure out a different way to successful transport your gel!

Lily

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”