What type of science fair experiment is this?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ali9136
Project Question: So my topic of my science fair experiment is testing the amount of glucose in different fruits and vegetables. I was wondering what type of project is this? Is it biochemisty?
Project Due Date: December 1,2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

What type of science fair experiment is this?

Post by ali9136 »

So i am doing the How Sweet Is It? Measuring Glucose Levels in Different Fruits and Liquids but instead of doing liquids i am doing vegetables. On an abstract form that i have to fill out for my science fair experiment, it lists different types of experiments
Is it....

Biochemisty
Cellular and Molecular Biology
Chemisty ( i dont think so... but i wasnt sure...)
Enviromental Sciences ( same as before i dont think so but im not sure....)

Thank you so much! :D :wink:
mykaylah
Project Question: I am trying to figure out if people have an auditory memory or a visual memory.
Project Due Date: January 22nd 2015
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: What type of science fair experiment is this?

Post by mykaylah »

Hi
I think that your project would be environmental science only because you are doing your project with veggies and that is environmental.

Jasmine gaydos :D
JMP
Former Expert
Project Question: Signing up to be an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by JMP »

Hi Ali,

I can understand your confusion. I'm not sure that your project fits entirely neatly into any of the categories you mentioned, but personally I'd say the closest is Biochemistry. Biochemistry studies processes occurring within a living organism. While you are not studying a process per se, you are looking at amounts of glucose from living organisms (vegetables). I wouldn't worry about it too much though. There is a lot of overlap between scientific disciplines and the dividing line between two disciplines like biochemistry and molecular biology are pretty blurry.

I hope this helps!
JMP
connief
Former Expert
Project Question: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Due Date: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by connief »

Hi there,

I also agree with JMP that this project probably fits the best with the biochemistry category, since the method used for this study is biochemical.

Connie

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”