I need a physical model for Science Expo

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bgraham
Project Question: The topic of my science report is How Warm Weather Affects the Strength of Hurricanes and my question is what is the best way to represent this in a physical way other than graphs and charts.
Project Due Date: 3/25
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

I need a physical model for Science Expo

Post by bgraham »

Hello, I need to model how warm weather affects the strength of hurricanes, what is the best way to do this other than using graphs and charts.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: I need a physical model for Science Expo

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Are you allowed to use video or slide shows in your report? If so then you could pick images and video from Google of hurricanes of various strengths according to the Saffir-Simson hurricane wind scale: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php

I don’t know the exact correlation between water temperature and hurricane category, but obviously the warmer the water that the storm passes over, the higher the category. Here’s a video from NOVA ScienceNow that shows the effects of increasing ocean temperature on hurricane severity: http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resourc ... urricanes/

I hope this helps. If you have more specific questions let us know.

Good luck!

Sybee
wderekj
Former Expert
Project Question: ecology, herbicides
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: I need a physical model for Science Expo

Post by wderekj »

Hi bgraham,

If you'd like to demonstrate how various factors affect the formation of hurricanes, you could try setting up beakers of water of different temperatures (steaming water and room temperature water perhaps) and show how the heat transfer into the atmosphere varies based on water temperature. If you cover the top of the beakers with plastic bags and watch the condensation, that might show you the different rates of evaporation.

Also, you could use a blow dryer to simulate winds and show how different strengths affect heat transfer.

Let us know how that goes,

Derek

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”