How does tilt of earths axis affect seasons

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

whitley6821
Project Question: How does the Tilt of Earth's Axis affect its Seasons?
Project Due Date: 3/20/15
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

How does tilt of earths axis affect seasons

Post by whitley6821 »

When doing this experiment, and measuring the temperature for Fall and Spring (Summer is in the Southern Hemisphere), do you subtract the North Pole or South Pole Average from the temperature average? Please help. I am very confused!
JMP
Former Expert
Project Question: Signing up to be an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How does tilt of earths axis affect seasons

Post by JMP »

Hi,

It helps if you give as much information as possible so that we can help you better. I assume you are doing the Science Buddies project "A Matter of Degrees: How Does the Tilt of Earth's Axis Affect the Seasons?" (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure).
When you are modeling fall and spring on the globe, the sun should be falling equally on the Northern and Southern hemisphere, so the North and South Pole temperatures should be pretty much the same. I'd say that you could subtract either one, or average them and subtract that.

Hope this helps!
JMP

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”