Human Subjects

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Peggy2011

Human Subjects

Post by Peggy2011 »

I am doing a project that involves human subjects. My teacher okayed it, but I feel nervous that something will happen and I will get in trouble. What can I do to help make it as safe as it can be? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

(The experiment involves chewing gum, and I think that's the biggest risk)
eedoherty
Former Expert

Re: Human Subjects

Post by eedoherty »

Hi Peggy2011,

If you have OK-ed the project with your teacher, I would make sure to show them the procedure so that they know exactly the steps that you have decided on, and make sure that you stick exactly to that protocol.

It is also a good idea whenever you are working with human subjects to obtain "informed consent". This would mean writing up a document that each of your subjects will sign prior to the test or experiment that you are going to conduct.

For more information on how to go about obtaining informed consent please see the Science Buddies page on Projects Involving Human Subjects: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... egulations

Erin

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”