Where to find porous rocks?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

metalhawk

Where to find porous rocks?

Post by metalhawk »

I’m looking for rocks for my science fair experiment, and I need four or five different particle sizes of rocks, and all the same type. I can’t find any anywhere, Help!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Where to find porous rocks?

Post by SciB »

Hi and welcome to the Scibuddies forum. I see you did not get a reply to your question. Maybe I can help.

Have you checked near where you live to see if there is a company that sells stone countertops? They should have scraps of marble, granite, travertine, limestone and maybe other stone types that you could have if you tell them you are a student doing a science project. I live in New England and there are a lot of rocks in my area. When i dig in the garden I am constantly bringing up rocks of various kinds and along the coast there are rocky bluffs and outcrops of shale, smooth stones on the seashore and large glacial boulders. You may also be able to find or dig up rocks in your area and try to identify them.

What is your project about that you need rocks of different porosities? If you do get a particular kind of rock like granite or marble how will you know what the porosity is? We might be able to make better suggestions to help you if you would take a little time to explain what you are doing.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”