Science Fair Project: Cleaning Up Oil Spills

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair Project: Cleaning Up Oil Spills

Post by SciB »

YAAY!

Good job V! I'm sure it was your ability to communicate and your enthusiasm as well as the quality of your project that gave you the award. Personally i think you should have gotten FIRST place, but I wasn't asked.

That was quite an honor for the judges to commend you so highly and to offer you an internship even. As a scientist myself, I know how strongly we feel about teaching because you will be the next generation to make the discoveries and apply the new knowledge that carries on the work we left off. Inspiring young people with a vision of making the world and peoples' lives better through careful, creative research is, I think, one of our highest achievements.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what new projects you come up with in the fall.

All the best,

Sybee
SciB
Expert
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.

Post by SciB »

Hi Vlance,

Congratulations on being in the spotlight for Scibuddies! Amy Cowen told me that she and Scibuddies were doing a story on your winning oil spill project. I am so glad that your great efforts are being rewarded by the recognition that you deserve. Good students and potential scientists like you need to be told when they are doing an exemplary job. You will always have my support and help whenever you need it in your career. It was my pleasure to assist you along the road to success!

Sybee
Vlance

Post by Vlance »

Hi Sybee,
Thank you so much for all of your help with this project! It was especially fun to have Amy write about me! I hope to come up with another project soon and confer with you about it. I'm still searching for another topic to be passionate about as I will do not do anything that I don't fully believe in. When I do find my next project I will immediately let you know :D !

I wanted to know, since I'm going into high school, if I can still use this forum or if I need to switch to the high school one. If I do need to switch to the high school one, do you help students in the high school forum? I will update you when the results for Broadcom come in. I do not expect to get into the top 300 Masters, seeing as there are so many other amazing science fair projects and it will be very competitive, but I am excited to see who the winners are! If I do qualify in the top 300 Masters I will be very happy though! Honestly, it was enough for me to even receive the free t-shirt!

Again thank you for everything,
Vlance
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Vlance--glad to hear from you again. Maybe Scibuddies should do T shirts too and you could wear it to the next science fair!

Don't worry I won't leave you without my help. I monitor both forums so I will see your posts. Whenever you get some ideas shoot a post here and I will give you my opinion of the worthiness of a particular idea and some suggestions. There are a lot of great areas for research, but figuring out how to do experiments with limited resources or hazardous materials is always a problem.

I am like you. I believe that we can make the world a better place through science and working together. Maybe its our only hope--but with people like you it will happen eventually

Enjoy the rest of your summer, as I am doing, and I will be waiting for your first post in the fall.

All the best,

Sybee
Vlance

Post by Vlance »

Hi Sybee,
I just wanted to tell you that I have made it into the top 300 Masters for Broadcom! I am so excited knowing I was selected as one of the top 300 science projects in the country! Thank you so much for your continuous help throughout this project, it would not have been possible without you!

I just wanted to inform you that this year I have experienced some unforeseen difficulties that are in the way of me doing a science fair project this year. I will being trying hard to do one, but I do not know if it will be possible right now. If I cannot do it this year I will definitely be doing one next year! I am really sad that I probably will not be able to do one this year but even if I cannot do one this year I am will be doing research to prepare for next year's. During my research I will update you with all my ideas and findings.

Thank you again for mentoring me and supporting me throughout this whole process,
Vlance
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Yaay, Vlance!!

Congratulations on being one of the top science fair winners in the U. S.--that's a great accomplishment and I am proud of you as I can be. Of course, I will continue to be your mentor and hep you to become the best of whatever you decide to do.

I understand that you would not want to attempt a project with other things going on that claim your time. But do try to continue your studies and progress in acquiring the knowledge and skills that you will need later. There's a huge amount to learn but the one thing I thank my teachers most for is training me to think and reason. That is an aptitude that you will apply in everything you do. Don't hesitate to be skeptical. Question what you hear or read. Ask for the evidence. Where did it come from? The truth is out there but it is often clouded by misinformation.

Whenever you have a question about a potential project or idea, just post it on this forum. Why don't you start a new thread and call it something personal to you and your goals for the next project. Then we can let the oil slick thread end. It has served its purpose and now we can move on to the next endeavor.

The other thing I want you to keep in mind when thinking of a potential project is whether you have the facilities, equipment, reagents, budget and time to do it. A professional scientist has to do this constantly. Equipping a lab is very costly and often it is the only way to get the data you need. On the other hand, you saw how your idea of using phytol as an oil slick cleaner was testable with minimal cost. You are a creative person and good ideas will occur to you. Follow them and see where they lead. Einstein sat in his chair following his thought experiments and they led to some of the greatest discoveries of the 20th century.

Use the web. Use YouTube. There are free lectures, tutorials and educational videos online that you can watch and learn from. Don't wait for the classroom to teach you things you want to know. Learn on your own. Listen to podcasts from Science magazine, from Nature, Scientific American, NPR, the BBC and many more. Keep up with what scientists are doing in all areas because there are amazing and exciting things happening in all fields. AI and computer models are great for generating and handling data, but so far have not been able to replace the creativity of a single human brain. Keep a digital journal if you don't already and write about your ideas and make notes on what you read and see. The web gives you access to almost unlimited resources and it is up to you to learn how to use them most effectively.

OK. That's enough lecturing. Now it's up to you. I and the other Scibuddies experts will be here to help you develop your plans and projects and we all look forward to seeing what you can come up with. We are passing on our knowledge and experience to you and we expect you to run with it and make something great and fine.

Best of everything now and in the future,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”